History of Building

In 1912, Committee of Trustees was formed in Tbilisi headed by Grigor Bayandurov, which aimed to establish Commercial college in Alexandrapol.

From 1903 to 1905 Commercial college was constructed in Alexandrapol.

From 1920 the building in Alexrandrapol served as the first Armenian university.

On May 16, 1919 the government of the first Republic of Armenia decided on establishing university in capital Yerevan. In spite of all difficult conditions the first primary, main problem for newly independent country was to establish a university, as there was a great need to form prerequisites for new generation having national mentality. At that time because of no building conditions in Yerevan, a decision was made - to open the university in the commercial college building (in the picture) of Alexandrapol (Gyumri), which was built at the beginning of  20th century and was a three-storeyed building within black  polished tufa masonry having an interesting architectural setup.

The university was opened in Alexandrapol with great pomp on January 31, 1920. Governmental leaders of Armenia took part in that official ceremony, mainly headed by Prime Minister Alexandr Khatisyan, minister of Education Nikol Axbalyan, Justice Minister Ruben Darbinyan. At the opening of the university a great number of guests and diplomatic representatives were present from Yerevan and Tbilisi, included the USA embassador in Armenia­ - colonel William Haskel with his wife.

The classes of the university started with a lecture delivered by the well-known armeniologist Stepan Malkhasyants on February 1, 1920. During the first academic year the university had only one faculty: faculty of history and linguistics (262 students and 32 lecturers), and the first rector of the university was professor Yuri Ghambaryan.

In autumn, 1934 the Gyumri State Pedagocial Institute was established  in the Comercial college building as an evening four years pedagogical institute, and from 1935 as a branch of Armenian Pedagogical Institute.

From 1947 the Pedagogical Institute of Gyumri was named after Michael Nalbandyan. In 1960, it became again a branch of Erevan State Pedagogical Institute after Khachatur Abovyan, and from 1966 as an independent university.

In 1988, the building collapsed because of a destructive earthquake.  From 2008 to 2010 it was aimed to establish a technological center in Gyumri, so the old building of the University was chosen. From 2011 the reconstruction works of the building began, which ended in 2013, December.






   On September 13, 2014 the official opening ceremony of Gyumri Technology Center took place  with the participation of Armenian president Serzh Sargsyan and other officials.